Ika is as Francophile as they come – having been trained by leading chocolatiers in Paris for the most part of 2009-2010.
This month she has agreed to follow another French tradition, by answering the Proust Questionnaire,
AKA the Bernard Pivot questions, made very popular also by Actors Guild host James Lipton.
Here is Ika spilling her beans:
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Looking at the sunset on a lounger on a sandy beach, holding a glass of Sancerre wine.
- What is your greatest fear?
Not making that trip around the world in 80 days. Or more.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
- What is the trait you most deplore in others?
- Which living person do you most admire?
My sister in law.
- What is your greatest extravagance?
A trip to Hawaii when I was 18.
- What is your current state of mind?
When will this August end already?
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
- On what occasion do you lie?
Can I lie as an answer to this question?
- What do you most dislike about your appearance?
- Which living person do you most despise?
So many human-rights crushing-dictators out there these days… But Assad.
- What is the quality you most like in a man?
Sense of Humor.
- What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
What was I going to say??
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Chocolate & The Sea.
- When and where were you happiest?
The day I opened my shop. But diving in the ocean in Australia is also an extremely happy memory.
- Which talent would you most like to have?
For languages. I would love to be fluent in 7 languages at least.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Be more patient.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Being included in the Le Club des Croqueurs de Chocolat guide, with gold tablette rating.
- If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
Jack Sparrow – Pirate of the Caribbean.
- Where would you most like to live?
Manhattan, Paris, London, Tokyo, Sydney, and many other places.
- What is your most treasured possession?
My chocolate Tempering machine. It’s possible that I am still paying for it.
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Losing someone close to you.
- What is your favorite occupation?
Chit-chatting over plates of food.
- What is your most marked characteristic?
- What do you most value in your friends?
Them being there when needed.
- Who are your favorite writers?
Ian McEwan, Meir Shalev.
- Who is your hero of fiction?
- Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Lou Andreas-Salomé, a Russian-born psychoanalyst and author, who had close relationships with Rilke, Freud, and Nietzsche (quite a complicated one, with the latter).
- Who are your heroes in real life?
- What are your favorite names?
- What is it that you most dislike?
- What is your greatest regret?
Quitting piano lessons.
- How would you like to die?
In my sleep, following a three-star rated Michelin dinner.
- What is your motto?
Chocolate is the soul’s super-food.